Sunday, April 24, 2016

Week 7 Report

Our quick trip to California for my Onstott cousin reunion was wonderful. Our flights over and back were smooth and on time. Sunday evening Stephen and his family drove to Garden Grove to meet us for dinner at Mimi's. My sister, Barbara, joined us as well as my nephew, Jim Bright, and his family. It was an added bonus to spend time with them.


Left to right: McKenzie (Logan's girlfriend), Logan, Judy, Stephen, Andrea, Devon
and Anniy in front

Monday was the first day of the reunion. We all meet at Marie Calendar's for dinner and stayed until they were ready to lock the doors. It has been at least 10 years since we have all been together.

Back row L to R: Janet, Barbara, Linda, Jeff, Scott,
Front row L to R: Leanne, Uncle Bill (94 years old), Karen, Judy
Sadly, We're mission one cousin, Jere. He passed away several years ago.
I won't mention the age of the rest of us, but I'll just say...
we look pretty good!

Cousins, spouses, and Uncle Bill

Tuesday afternoon we met in the community room at the RV park where Barbara was staying. We visited, played games, and looked at genealogy and old family photos. Janet is our genealogy professional and we are all so indebted to her for all her work. We surely have a great heritage. Wednesday the cousins met again at Karen's home for dinner and visiting. Devon and I missed that event. We needed to get back to Hawaii and our mission jobs. I'm so glad we made the decision to attend the reunion despite the distance. Family is everything! I'm also grateful to our mission president for allowing us to go. It was well worth it. The cousins have decided to meet again in 2 years and I can't wait!

While we were in California I got a phone call from my oncologist's nurse reporting that my CT scans showed "no evidence of disease," and that's a very good thing. I'll be repeating all the tests in 3 to 4 months. 

Things were a little crazy when we got back. This week was transfer week in the mission and so there was a lot of catch up work. I think we are back on schedule and that's a good thing. We want to start using our preparation days to see some of the beauties of the island, but that will have to wait until another Saturday. We spent today running errands both for us and the mission. I guess we are still playing catch up. I finally decorated the large, rather ugly bulletin board in my office. Now it's so cheerful with the Hawaiian print fabric and photos of our beloved family.

This makes me so happy!!!

We end this week with the sweetest letter from little Gracie (Brad's daughter). She learned about caterpillars and butterflies this week - sounds perfect to me! I'm so grateful for my family, immediate and extended, and the joy they bring to my life. I love mine so much! The years and distance may separate us, but the bond is eternal. They are the people I love to be with the most!

No comments:

Post a Comment